After you’ve set up a goal and entered your goal information, you can define a funnel if you’ve selected a ‘URL Destination’ goal type. A funnel represents the path that you expect visitors to take on their way to converting to the goal. Please follow the steps outlined by Google to create your funnel:
- Click ‘Yes, create a funnel for this goal.’
- Enter the ‘URL’ of the first page of your conversion funnel. This page should be a page that is common to all visitors working their way towards your goal. For example, if you are tracking user flow through your checkout process, do not include a product page as a step in your funnel as this will change regularly.
Please note: Funnel URLs are treated as regular expressions. For this reason, you can include wildcard characters and use other regular expression methods if you want to match more than a single URL. To learn more about regular expressions from Google click here
- Enter a ‘Name’ for this step.
- If this step is a ‘Required step’ in the conversion process, select the checkbox to the right of the step. If this checkbox is selected, users reaching your goal page without travelling through this funnel page will not be counted as conversions.
- Continue entering goal steps until your funnel has been completely defined. You may enter up to 10 funnel steps, or as little as one step.
- Click Save Changes to create this Goal and funnel, or Cancel to exit without saving.